Friday, August 5, 2011

Going for a dip...


Boy was this place AWESOME! A friend and I had heard of this place from another one of our friends that went up last summer. We decided to make a day trip of it since it’s not that far from where we live. It’s called Split Rock Falls. It’s located in New Russia, NY in the Adirondack Mountains. The entire place was so beautiful, although I’ve been known to be a sucker for nature. There’s something just so peaceful about it. 

Of course I didn’t bring my camera with me, which would be my iPhone, I couldn’t risk ruining it, so I failed to take pictures. Next time I go I’m going to take my regular digital camera with me and snap lots of photos. There were so many things I wanted to take pictures of. The water was a bit cold when you first jump in but after that you warm up to it, a little.
I would definitely recommend this place for anyone in the New York area looking to take a day trip if you enjoy hiking or nature. There’s not much to do other then that but it’s fun. There was a guy up there that said he lived not far from the falls and has known it to be very dangerous at times. A few years ago a few teenagers were actually killed when they drown in the water. New York State owns the land and had put up fences in the more dangerous parts but people have avoided them and still go as they please. I can see how it can get pretty slippery even getting in and out of the water on the rocks.
This may not be a place for young children but it’s definitely a cute place for couples to go, or like I said just a nice day trip for some friends to cool off in the mountains. Here’s a website for other swimming holes and hot springs in New York that you can check out, depending on your location. Swimming Holes

No comments:

Post a Comment