Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Beach bummin'..


So I finally got to the beach yesterday for the first time this summer. It was a gorgeous day, a little cloudy at times, but still nice. I’m not a big fan of swimming in the ocean so the clouds were a nice break from the sun to cool off for a bit! Luckily we got there really early because by 3pm the storms were about to roll in and we had to book it out of there!
We went to Belmar Beach in NJ. It’s only about an hour away from where we live. Belmar is one of my favorite beaches around. It’s always very clean and a good place to bring a family. They have many options of surfing, boogie boarding, and even kayaking. They also have a great boardwalk to stroll down and a marina. 

I haven’t been to the beach in awhile, other than when I go on vacation to Florida or such. When I was younger I had a bad experience at a beach. Who thinks to wear shoes while walking on the sand. Well, I recommend you always do! I was walking back from the boardwalk, holding my flip-flops in hand, and I stepped on something in the sand. Picked up my foot and it was gushing blood. Ended up having get 5 stitches in my foot because some inconsiderate person left a broken bottle of glass in the sand. Luckily this wasn’t at Belmar and I will never go back to the beach were it occurred. This is why I think Belmar is a great place; they take pride in their beaches and clean them thoroughly every night. 

If you’re looking for a great local beach to take your family this is it. It’s much better then going to Seaside Heights or down further. Those beaches have a much younger crowd and can get very rowdy. I don’t believe Belmar has many great hotels or places to stay right near the beach so it might be a bit of a hike to walk with children. Make sure you bring a stroller or at least be prepared to pack up the car and drive a few blocks to the beach. You can find lots of great information at the Belmar website.  A beach is always a nice way to take a day to relax and enjoy the summer. But always make sure you remember to put on that SPF!

No comments:

Post a Comment